Sierra Sands AB 104 Information

Sierra Sands AB 104 Information

Sierra Sands Unified School District AB 104 Information

What is AB 104? AB 104 was signed into law on July 1, 2021. It added Education Code Section 48071 to address some challenges associated with pandemic learning in the 2020-21 school year. Please see the three areas of AB 104 implementation below:

Requests for Retention 2021-22 School Year

For the 2021-22 academic year, a parent/guardian/educational rights holder may request the retention of eligible students

Eligible Student(s): An “eligible student” is a student who received deficient grades for at least one-half of the student’s coursework in the 2020–21 academic year. A deficient grade is a D, F, a No Pass, or an equivalent as determined by the district. A student enrolled in grade 12 during the 2020–21 academic year is not eligible for retention under AB 104.

Process for Retention Consultation Requests of Eligible Students:

Parents/guardians of eligible students must request the retention consultation in writing. AB 104 Retention Consultation of eligible students must be submitted in writing and received by August 27, 2021. If you would like to request a retention consultation for an eligible student, print, fill out, date, sign, and return the AB 104 Retention Consultation Request Form and submit to your student’s school office.


Within 30 calendar days of receiving a written retention consultation request from a parent, the school must offer to conduct a consultation with the parent, the student, the administrator, and a teacher. The consultation shall include a discussion of all available learning recovery options, research on the effects of retention and the benefits of particular interventions and supports, and consideration of the student’s academic data and any other information relevant to whether retention is in the student’s best interests, academically and socially.


Within 10 calendar days of the consultation, the school must notify the requesting parent of its retention decision. Regardless of the retention decision, the school must offer student-specific interventions and supports. A pupil who is not retained shall be offered access to prior semester courses in which the student received a D or F letter grade in the 2020–21 academic year, some other form of credit recovery, or other supports.


*High School Students* 2020-21 Letter Grade Change to Pass or No Pass

Process for Requesting a Grade Change

To be eligible for a grade change, the pupil must have been enrolled in high school in the 2020-21 academic year. The application form to request a grade change may be downloaded at the California Department of Education at There is no limit on the number or type of courses eligible for a grade change. However, please note that grade change requests for a dual enrollment/concurrent enrollment course taught by faculty outside of the school district are subject to consultation with the institution that awarded the grade.

The grade change application must be submitted to [email protected] by August 31, 2021. Any applications received after August 31, 2021 will be rejected, pursuant to the requirement of the legislation. Within 15 calendar days of receiving the application, you will be notified that the change to the pupil’s transcript has been made.

Important Information Regarding Potential Impact of Grade Changes on College Admissions

Assembly Bill 104 requires that the California State University system not penalize students for Pass/No Pass grades for admission purposes for any applicant who was enrolled in a California high school during any school year from the 2020-21 school year to the 2023-24 school year. This requirement does not apply to the University of California, private postsecondary educational institutions in California or any public or private postsecondary educational institution outside of California. A list of postsecondary educational institutions in California that have indicated they will not penalize students for Pass/No Pass grades for admission purposes may be found at

Please note: Some postsecondary educational institutions, including those in other states, may not accept a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for admission purposes. If the pupil in question has applied for or is intending to apply for admission to a postsecondary educational institution that does not appear on the list noted above, a consultation with the Admissions office of that institution is highly recommended. 

If you have questions about any of this, please reach out to your student’s counselor, or the Curriculum and Instruction Office, Michelle Savko at 760-499-1640. 

Extended Opportunities for Qualified High School Students 

to Complete Graduation Coursework 

A high school must exempt any student who, in the 2020–21 school year, was in their 3rd or 4th year of high school, and who is not on track to graduate in four years from all coursework and other requirements adopted by the board that is in addition to the minimum California graduation requirements

Additionally, a high school must provide a pupil who was enrolled in the pupil’s third or fourth year of high school during the 2020-21 school year, and who is not on track to graduate in the 2020-21 or 2021-22 school years, the opportunity to complete the minimum California graduation requirements, which may include, but is not limited to the following: 

  • completion of coursework through a 5th year of instruction,
  • credit recovery, or 
  • other opportunities to complete the required coursework.

If your high school student meets the criteria (was in their 3rd or 4th year of high school in 2020-21 AND is not on track to graduate in the 2020-21 or 2021-22 school years from all coursework and other requirements adopted by the board) please contact your student’s school counselor to explore available opportunities to complete high school coursework.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2023 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.