Work Permits

Work Permits


Minors employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”). Work permits are typically issued by the school where the student is enrolled. Work permits indicate the duties and location where the work will be done as well as the number of hours a minor may work. In most cases it is a two-step process, the minor along with the parent/guardian and employer fill out the B1-1 form and submit it to the school local to the minor's address. The school district reviews the B1-1 form and issues the B1-4 (Work Permit).


The minor/student, after obtaining a promise of employment, shall obtain the "Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit - Certificate of Age" (CDE Form B1-1) from the school or you print the Form B1-1from the link below.

The minor must complete the "minor" section, request that the employer and parent complete their sections (making certain to obtain both required signatures), and then return the completed form to the appropriate school authority.


  • Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit-Certificate of Age CDE Form B1-1(DOC) This form is completed by the minor/student, parent/guardian and employer


When school is in session: Please provide the completed Form B1-1 to the school site in which the student is enrolled.


During the summer months: Please provide the completed Form B1-1 to:

Student Support Services, 1327 A N. Norma Avenue, Ridgecrest, CA 93555  (760) 499-1700


The local school district or school has the discretion to impose additional requirements for the issuance of a work permit.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.